We are looking to hire an Assistant General Counsel, US, to report to the General Counsel and Secretary, North America, to assist with the growth of Ascot Insurance US and Ethos. We are currently growing the US platform and we are looking for a dynamic attorney who is willing – and interested – in rolling up both sleeves to help the company grow.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
- The position will involve significant interaction with all aspects of the US companies, working with management, underwriters, actuaries, operations, IT, HR, and claims.
- Interact and communicate with state regulators, make regulatory filings, and stay abreast of regulatory developments that could impact our business.
- Provide legal advice about product development, licensing, transactions, operational, and compliance matters.
- Collaborate with underwriting teams to develop policy forms for various lines of business.
- Analyze and negotiate producer agreements, vendor agreements, and confidentiality agreements.
- Assist the claims team with various claims and coverage issues.
- Perform various other legal-related tasks, including working with various operational company functions and our London Legal Team.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Have a minimum of 4 years of experience in a law firm or relevant in-house experience.
- Can demonstrate an ability to work in a fast-paced environment and effectively prioritize projects and assignments for multiple clients.
- Someone who enjoys tackling complex legal and strategic issues.
- Excellent communication skills, and strong organizational and time-management skills.
- A self-starter, team-oriented (but capable of working independently) and collaborative, with the initiative and desire to contribute to multiple projects, some of which may fall outside the scope of a similar role at a larger company.
- Admitted in New York or otherwise able to register as in-house counsel in New York.