We are seeking an analytical, motivated, and detail-oriented Manger for the Assistant Underwriter team to join the Ascot Environmental team. This role will be responsible for building & hiring the assistant underwriter team, manage the team, and provide subject matter expertise for the overall development and roll out of the environmental platform at Ascot. In addition to environmental product and underwriting experience, the candidate should have experience with systems design and testing be open to learning new systems, rating tools, data analysis, and report definition.
This position provides critical underwriting support for the Environmental team, and is a leader within the team who has underwriting experience, knows how systems, processes and reports work. The Assistant Underwriter team partners with the senior underwriters to participate in the quoting, binding and policy issuance process. This role is the primary point of contact with the Underwriting / Shared Service team, and manage / negotiate service level agreements. Knowledge base must include policy management, renewal process handling, rating experience and customer / broker service on accounts of increased size and complexity.
- Create, modify, update, and process new and existing policies, contractual documents and worksheets to reflect accurate exposures, amount of coverage, or type of insurance or other material information.
- Review expiring accounts and send out targeted renewal submission requests. Solicitations will include specific information and may also include conditional renewal notice.
- Examine correspondence from assureds and/or brokers, such as original insurance applications, and other company documents to determine if changes are needed and make the necessary changes for Underwriting purposes.
- Interact with brokers to assist with follow up for underlying and subjectivities.
- Review underlying policies and identify pertinent information needed for quoting.
- Handle renewal activities including file review and comparison, documentation of loss development from prior years, and correspondence as needed.
- Oversee and manager the renewal cycle process
- Calculate premiums, refunds, commissions, adjustments in support of the endorsement process
- Create new and renewal quotes within the guidelines of Underwriting approved limited Underwriting authority.
- Demonstrate ability and willingness to function in the role of a subject matter expert on systems, processes and procedures to both peers, underwriters and ancillary supporting departments.
- Work with Premium Services to resolve receivable discrepancies.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to work with management at a senior level
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently, as part of a team and also have previously been a manager of a team of junior underwriters
- Ability to organize, prioritize and self-manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills; understanding of insurance/claims/actuarial concepts
- Ability to generate reports and presentations for senior management using array of data sources
- Independent and innovative thinker with creative problem-solving skills
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in property and casualty insurance specifically for environmental
- College or university degree in a relevant major (e.g., math, sciences, economics, engineering, actuarial science, business)
- Preferred prior experience as a primary insurance underwriter
- CPCU® or ARe™ course of study a plus