Purpose of Role
The purpose of the IT Development Manager role is to support the Head of IT by managing the day-to-day operations of the development team and provide an IT development service to all areas of the business, driving efficiency and implementing best practice ways of working to maximise the value of the team. It also has a strategic focus, contributing to the transformation of the Ascot application landscape and delivery of the Digital Strategy across the Group.
The IT Development Manager is accountable for the provision of an IT development service and continually driving the improvement of all IT systems, processes and people.
- Manage the day-to-day workload of the Development Team, ensuring that work is allocated, prioritised and completed within defined KPIs.
- Actively drive improvements and efficiencies within the team, introduce a robust SDLC and other best practice processes and ways of working
- Champion the introduction and use of ServiceNow working alongside the IT Service Manager to embed the tool within the development team. Evaluate the use of existing tools within development and make recommendations in relation to better use of tooling to increase efficiency
- Liaise with the IT Service Manager to ensure that new team structures are effectively adopted and that Application Support and Development teams work well together
- Ensure that the team maintain all technical and functional documentation to an appropriate level.
- Review the integrity of the development environment and ensure full compliance with regulatory requirements. Create an Environment Management process to ensure environments are effectively managed and maintained.
- Ensure that the output of the development team is thoroughly tested and meets user acceptance criteria.
- Peer review the output of the development team, provide constructive feedback and identify training requirements.
- Build effective relationships with Business Users and raise the profile of the development team across the organisation
- Work with users to review, challenge and prioritise all development requests and actively reduce the backlog of tickets in the system
- Assist the development team with the translation of business requirements and provide guidance on all technical and functional aspects.
- Ensure that appropriate acceptance criteria is documented and agreed with business users.
- Liaise with the Ascot Architects and ensure that all development decisions support the Group-wide design.
- Liaise with the Head of Change Management to ensure that development resources are available for projects as required and represent development in project board meetings as required.
- Liaise with the IT Infrastructure Manager and IT Service Manager to manage the resolution and communication of major IT related incidents.
- Assist the IT Service Manager in performing root cause analyses of major IT related incidents and ensure that measures are put in place to prevent future occurrences
- Assist the IT Service Manager in performing monthly trend analysis in order to identify systems and processes that require improvement.
18. Be a key contributor to several strategic work streams currently being planned across the business:
- Digital Roadmap
- Architectural Review
- Cloud Strategy
- Group Data Management
- University degree in an information technology discipline preferred.
- CII qualifications preferred.
- ITIL qualifications preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of experience preferred in a role involving IT Development team management
- Working in an ITIL environment
- Implementing and adhering to best practice processes and ways of working within a Development team
- Working with third parties to deliver an IT Service, negotiating outsourced contracts and ongoing Vendor Management
- Understanding of the Lloyd’s of London and company (re)insurance markets preferred.
- Understanding of an establish risk management framework, e.g. COBIT.
- Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS).
- Familiar with SQL Server and.NET programming languages.
- Microsoft applications; in particular Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Outlook/Exchange.
- Back-office underwriting systems, in particular Subscribe S2000
- Must demonstrate confidence and the communications skills required to work with people at all levels of the business.
- Must be a strong team player with a collaborative approach who is able to gain buy-in from all stakeholders.
- Strong Leadership skills are essential
Results & Service Delivery Focus
The role holder must:
- be delivery and customer focussed.
- be diplomatic, pragmatic and have a solution-driven attitude.
- be a completer and finisher with a structured approach to working.
- have a strong work ethic and results-oriented approach.
- demonstrate pride in their work, high-performance and reliability and accountability.
- be willing to go beyond the minimum requirements of the role when required.
- have the ability to prioritise responsibilities; especially during busy, fast-paced and critical business periods.
- have the ability to multi-task and produce accurate quality output within required timeframes.
- display intellectual curiosity to support professional development.
- have the ability to be reflective and logical when faced with complex and/or challenging work scenarios.
- have a willingness to be flexible and respond appropriately to changing and/or conflicting demands.