Purpose of Role
The purpose of the Software Engineer role is to design, build, test, install and maintain software systems within the Ascot enterprise. The role will be a part of a small dedicated onsite team tasked with implementing and supporting solutions within an agile, outsourced development environment, whilst being a key contact for the business users. This role will not only require development experience, it will need to aid in analysis of existing software systems, have a good understanding of software systems available within the Insurance market and have the ability to ‘think outside the box’ and offer alternative development solutions. This role will be working closely with the IT Development Manager, Business Analyst and the new development service provider. Initially it will be supporting the IT service transition and embedding the new service offering within the business. BAU will then be ongoing software systems development, supporting the associated business requirements and future application roadmaps. There will be an element of working across BAU and Projects and so being able to prioritise efficiently and work collaboratively is imperative to this role.
The IT Software Engineer is accountable for the quality and timeliness of their deliverables, assisting other team members and keeping the Development Lead informed of pertinent information.
- Reviewing and understanding current systems.
- Presenting ideas for system improvements, including cost/time estimates.
- Working closely with analysts, users and other team members.
- Producing detailed technical and functional specifications and writing the program code.
- Testing the product in controlled, realistic situations before release.
- Assist in preparation of training manuals for users.
- Maintaining and supporting existing production systems.
- Coach and mentor other developers within the team providing direction and guidance.
- University degree in an information technology discipline preferred.
- CII qualifications preferred.
- ITIL qualifications preferred.
- Experience working in IT development in BI and/or Web technologies.
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Back-office underwriting systems, in particular Subscribe S2000 (NITL)
- Claims management systems
- Bordereau systems, in particular Watertrace BDX
- Exposure management systems, in particular Sequel Impact
- Enterprise or Financial Data Warehouse
- Developing front-end, server-side and integration components.
- Experience working in an Agile / Scrum environment.
- Understanding of the Lloyd’s of London and company (re)insurance markets preferred.
- Understanding of development and design best practices.
- C# development experience, ideally .NET 3.5 or higher
- SQL Server/T-SQL development experience, 2005 or later
- NET Web forms, WCF Services
- Experience of SSIS, SSAS and SSRS SQL Server technologies
- JSON, Angular (desirable)
- Good problem solver with very strong communication skills
- A structured and methodical approach with a strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming concepts
- Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) or other SCM systems.
Other Required Skills
- Must demonstrate confidence and the communications skills required to work with people at all levels of the business.
- Must be a strong team player with a collaborative approach who is able to gain buy-in from all stakeholders.
- Eye for detail and identifying problems.
- Analytical and commercial experience
Results & Service Delivery Focus
The role holder must:
- be service orientated.
- be diplomatic, pragmatic and have a solution-driven attitude.
- be a completer and finisher with a structured approach to working.
- have a strong work ethic and results-oriented approach.
- demonstrate pride in their work, high-performance and reliability and accountability.
- be willing to go beyond the minimum requirements of the role when required.
- have the ability to prioritise responsibilities; especially during busy, fast-paced and critical business periods.
- have the ability to multi-task and produce accurate quality output within required timeframes.
- display intellectual curiosity to support professional development.
- have the ability to be reflective and logical when faced with complex and/or challenging work scenarios.
- have a willingness to be flexible and respond appropriately to changing and/or conflicting demands.